The product has finally arrived from the far lands called China! and they look the part! We made the order on the 15/12/2015 for 200 can coolers with a frosted background and logo. We provided the manufacture with the images and they sent us a picture of a sample after paying $30 for a screen printing set up cost. After accepting the sample the shipment arrived on the 8/01/2016, not too bad at all.
The neoprene can cooler is awesome, the quality is fantastic and its everything we imagined it to be. Short delivery time, efficient contact with the manufacture via email and consistent quality.
The second part of our product the important bit, didn’t work as well as we hoped. Our initial order was for 10 sample units to check the quality and make sure they worked. The samples took 1 week from order to arriving at SIMPLEX HQ (Flat 15 Kingsnympton Park). On the products arrival we tested them out on beer cans. The test was semi successful, the product didn’t keep in 100% of the contents of the can. A few droplets of beer escaped the cap, however due to the approaching deadline of the Kingston product fair we agreed to order more units.
We asked the manufacture to add a rubber seal on the cap slider and around the bottom of the cap. This would prevent leakage and ensure quality for our customers. We ordered 200 green caps as the manufacture told us we had to order 5000 units to have any other colours manufactured. We was told that we had to manufacture 5000 units per colour and that if we was to order 200 units we had to have green. FINE!
That was until I opened the box a week later…… We revived the following colours in the following quantity’s:
The manufacture royal screwed us over. Not only was 55% of our stock made of pink caps that we never asked for the manufactures never fitted the seals. So we have a half baked product that we need to shift. I emailed the supplier and expressed my discontent and his reply was apologetic, he also offered to refund us if we shipped the product back to China. This wasn’t an option due to our low purchase cost and high shipping cost back to China. Also the product fair is in 4 days.
What I have learnt
- Never accept a sample your not 100% happy with. Regardless how cool they look.
- Don’t order from a Chinese manufacture that you have not built a trusting relationship with if your deadline is within 2 – 3 weeks.
- Establish exactly what the manufacture is offering and their requirements as a manufactures.
- As a team we should have put the samples under rigorous testing before we ordered in bulk. We should have developed a set of criteria for the sample to meet in order for us to agree on its suitability.
- DEVELOP A CONTINGENCY PLAN IN CASE OF FAILURE